Saturday, December 24, 2011

Like All Cantabrians, A. Yearns For A New Start

For folks in the Red and Orange Zones, life is increasingly miserable. Everyone wants to find a way back to normal, but it's hard to do with the earth shaking all the time.

Based partly in the southern suburbs and partly in Queenstown, A. isn't quite as exposed to calamity as folks are in the eastern suburbs, but he's no different in wanting to find a way towards a better life:
Subject: RE: I hope you are well this Christmas season

Hi Marc,

I was hiking the Rees Track near Queenstown on the fateful afternoon – having a wonderful time on a hike that was longer than my usual time (usually I do about 7 hours max and this was a 9 hour one), oblivious to what was going on in the outside world. Then I got back in cellphone range and got the terrible news. This is going on so long and the experts reckon another 4 years!! How will I cope? ... Also I have my place on the market and am keen on a new place. Mine is listed here, and here is the dream home. If only mine would sell so I could get it!

Have a great holiday season,
A.

Gorgeous places both! The best of good fortune on your plans! All things end, and the Christchurch earthquakes will eventually end too, but in the meantime it’s very hard on everyone who lives there. If you can effect a partial escape, all the better. I need to come down again, but money is a problem at the moment. Maybe this coming year….

Maybe you will allow enough time to stay at the new log cabin home (fingers crossed…). The current place is gorgeous but the log cabin is stunning. We are allowed to dream a bit, aren’t we?!
A.

Absolutely! They’ve been showing ‘Lord of the Rings’ again on TV, and I’m sure there’s an incantation there that can bring you your own special piece of Middle Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment