Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Breaking Through The "Breakage" Logjam

Breaking Bad episode 5, season 2 ("Breakage") features a long montage sequence, and a number of interesting Albuquerque sites. We've puzzled out most of these sites over the last couple of years, but a few still remain.


Unknown house, (Season 2, Episode 5, "Breakage"). Montage (part 17)

This appears to be Patio Plaza, approximately 671 Manzano St. NE., just off of Lomas Blvd.

I've seen this odd-looking building before on my journeys around Albuquerque via Google Earth, but it didn't click with me that it was a Breaking Bad site until yesterday.


This brief scene, from the same Montage, and concatenated with the scene above, appears to show businesses across the street: specifically, Action Disability Representatives, 630 Manzano St NE.


"OldeSaultie" surprised me with this screen shot from "Breakage". The location is 631 Manzano St. NE, immediately behind Flea Mart, 5015 Lomas Blvd., NE.

Excellent catch! I always figured that location was behind the Tri-H Convenience Store at Yale and Lead, but quite apparently not!

It seems like a general rule with Breaking Bad montages that the scenes are usually filmed in fairly-close proximity with one another. It’s probably a matter of practicality as much as anything else. Plus, you get general coherence of neighborhood too.


This morning, I’m thinking of a Possible Rendezvous Site at the end of ‘Breakage’. Here’s one that might work. Trouble is, these sort of views are very common on northern NM plateaus, so there is nearly an infinite set of places to work with. Nevertheless, this location is on Santa Ana Pueblo land, and is in close proximity to the two other Santa Ana locations used in ‘Breakage’, and could well have been convenient.

Possible Rendezvous Point
35.369786°, -106.546615°

It requires a site visit to be sure. I’ll list it as a possible location. That parcel of Santa Ana land out there is ‘Restricted Access’, however, so getting confirmation will require either skullduggery or social graces with the Pueblo.

Last time I was there I ALMOST made a visit. I already knew of the power lines site on Santa Ana land and I wanted to visit it. The gate was marked, but partially-open. I thought long and hard about making the two or three mile dash up there, but chickened out. Next time, I hope to take more time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment