Thursday, May 31, 2012

"The Dictator" - Sacha Baron Cohen

I expected not to like this movie that much, but it grew on me as time passed.

The reason that 2007's "Borat" worked so well was because many of the participants didn't realize it was a movie, and came up with perfect gems of dialogue right in the heat of the moment. You can't reproduce those conditions again, so for "Bruno", and "The Dictator" you have to script everything, and that's hard!

I liked the 'Death To Aladeen' Restaurant concept. The trendy, granola, health food angle felt a bit forced. I liked the 'Ebony and Ivory' scene. I found it interesting how masturbation is portrayed as a social advance, rather than a diversion or a retrograde error, but I didn't like their path to this place.

Not as fresh as "Borat", but just as crude, with a political message I quite agreed with. And like I say, winning in its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment