Sunday, May 27, 2012

"Go, Dog, Go!" - Woodland Opera House

I was quite baffled by this odd show, until the cast showed a cover of the book upon which this show is based. Then, in a flashback, I remembered..... First grade! Mrs. Lindeman's class! But good grief, I haven't read this book in 49 years! About the same time I read "Are You My Mommy?" and "The Cat In The Hat".

I no longer remembered the plot of "Go, Dog, Go!". But suddenly, the oddities of the plot, as revealed on stage, began to make more sense: they were just trying to maintain fidelity to the book.

Like the whole sequence of the hats. Made no sense, really. No playwright would do that - the hats were gorgeous! But a children's book author might be so careless.

"Go, Dog, Go!" is the sort of musical dogs would write if dogs wrote musicals. Straightforward. No dark side. Simple.

The kids in the audience really liked Erik Catalan!

No comments:

Post a Comment