Monday, August 27, 2012

"Breaking Bad" - Season 5, Episode 7, "Say My Name"

Technically they were on San Felipe Pueblo land, but near the boundary with Santa Ana Pueblo land, for the final scene - about here: (35.380657°, -106.505815°)

The last time I was in that general area (a couple of miles away from the final scene) was in 2010. Driving around, I kept having the sensation I had been here before. Maybe I had, when I was a kid, or maybe I was confusing it with a trip through Peña Blanca, also when I was a kid.

Now, I know intellectually that this notable landmark is the core of an extinct volcano. Nevertheless, when I was a kid, my father told me it was a monster that had been frozen into stone. No matter what anyone says, for me, it will always be a monster frozen into stone. Or, alternatively, Mike's expression, frozen into stone.


North of Santa Ana, I crossed the ditch into agricultural fields, lost the pavement, started travelling a dirt road, and kept heading north.

For centuries, the Pueblo Indians have been fiercely-protective of their way of life, and remarkably resistant to changes imposed from the outside. They have kept their grazing lands and cottonwood groves free from most of the real estate development that has marred Albuquerque. 150 years ago, most of the Rio Grande Valley in Albuquerque looked a lot like the expansive groves portrayed in "Breaking Bad". It came as a surprise to me that Santa Ana Pueblo has been working so closely with "Breaking Bad" over the years. And now again! (And San Felipe Pueblo too.)


A magnificent alfalfa field!


Driving around, I startled what appeared to be a colony of Gunnison's Prairie Dogs.






(35.370617°, -106.512221°)
I’m thinking this might be the site where Mike tosses his arms into a hole in the ground. On Google Earth you can even see a tiny spot that might be the hole cover!

It’s interesting: this site is on Santa Ana Indian Pueblo land, but the final scene point is on San Felipe Indian Pueblo land. It demonstrates that “Breaking Bad” is working very closely with both Indian Pueblos, and has good relations with both. In addition, these sites are as remote from the inhabited areas of the Pueblos as it’s possible to get and still be on Pueblo land. I’m sure that a minimal disturbance of the inhabitants was part of the package for permission to use the land.


Something is fishy at Cradock Marine Bank
Charter Bank, 2130 Eubank Boulevard NE.


Overpass where Mike calls for help. Dual overpass over the railroad at Commercial St. NE: Marquette Avenue & Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue NE. Facing east.
(35.086616°, -106.645793°).


Mike with granddaughter at park: (35.118191, -106.549012).
Amazing! Same place where Marie got caught thieving from her house visits! La Palomita Park. La Sala Grande and La Palomita Rd. NE. Mike even says the name!


Last of the three houses Marie visits on her kleptomaniac journey (Season 4, Episode 3, "Open House"). 8503 La Sala Grande, NE. This site reappears in Season 5 - it's adjacent to La Palomita Park (with playground) where Mike is forced to abandon granddaughter Kaylee (Season 5, episode 7, "Say My Name"). The house is visible in the background.


Approximate Time Lapse location
Off Simms Park Road
(35.158902°, -106.491892°)

No comments:

Post a Comment