Monday, January 28, 2013

'I'm Different' - A Night At Blush

Blush Night Club



On Saturday night, I thought it might be fun to check out the nightclub scene on the K Street Mall. Last time, I went to K Street at night, in mid-July, I was intrigued by the scene at K-Bar.

Nevertheless, I arrived too late to easily get into the majority of the five or six clubs on K Street. Instead, intrigued by the Nicki Minaj tune bleeding out of the doors, and by the much smaller line, I ended up at Blush Ultralounge.

An Ultralounge differs from other lounges by being smaller, and a bit more pretentious. What made this Ultralounge special was that it appeals primarily to a black crowd. Well, what's the point of all that hip-hop-oriented dance-type exercise at Pepper Von's if not for moments like this?

I tried to figure out the scene. The crowd was only about 10% white. I was clearly the eccentric here. When I presented my ID to the security guards at the door and got the obligatory pat down, they smiled.

The dance floor was bumpin' with 2 Chainz' "I'm Different", which struck me as a suitable theme song for me this night. I exchanged pleasantries with two ladies who fit the classification found in every club: Friends of the DJ. I watched another young woman whom I thought might fit another stereotype - Insecure White Girl - but soon realized she was Insecure White Girl Who Wasn't Really All That Insecure. Fellow with nice grill beamed at my dancing. Talked with a few. Danced with a few. Had fun, but there was always a wariness.

It was a 2 Chainz night. The dance floor also rocked with "Birthday Song" (All I Want For My Birthday Is A Big Booty Ho).

Interestingly, I don't think they played 2 Chainz' latest "Fuckin' Problems", which strikes me as the better song. And despite the language, popular too, if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am, since 'I'm Different').

No comments:

Post a Comment