Saturday, July 26, 2014

West Mesa 40th High School Reunion - Dinner and Dance



Dan Brummel (right) was there at the Ladera Golf Course ballroom for the 40th reunion of West Mesa High School Class of 1974. (Dan won the 1974 class award for attendance, and he is still ultra-reliable in all matters.)  I missed seeing many old friends - the folks here were pretty much the same folks who came to the 36th high school reunion in 2010.


Rick Gabaldon and Henry Harrison were among the class leaders who arranged these festivities.  I danced with Karen Chavez Creamer, who was class valedictorian, and who I didn't even know in 1974.  Interestingly enough, I had the most fun dancing with Joe Sanchez from Los Lunas High School class of 1984 (and who was now married to a 1974 alumnus).


Albuquerque City Council head Ken Sanchez is a member of our class.  Presumably these days he is among the most powerful people in the city.  I wanted to tell him how much I sympathize with Anonymous and other Albuquerque residents who oppose the wanton murders of the out-of-control Albuquerque police force, but this was neither the time or the place.  So instead, I did a conga line with him, shook his hand, and we slapped each other's back.  And predictably enough, he encouraged everyone to support the cops in these trying times.


The dinner was good and the dancing was fun.  I was certain the lady on the right was a member of our class, but she hailed from Romania and wasn't even in the country in 1974.  Yet, I'm certain she was in our class.

No comments:

Post a Comment