Wednesday, October 21, 2015

"Sicario"

Saturday night, saw "Sicario", a CIA thriller about the Mexican-U.S. border. Predictably, there was too much Hollywood and video game flash for my taste. It's no surprise the mayor of Cuidad Juarez is urging a boycott of the movie. Narcotraficante violence is more targeted than the movie portrays. Juarez isn't Beirut West, and since the Mexican Federales have had many recent successes, murder rates have dropped a lot since 2012. I was baffled by Emily Blunt's superfluous-seeming character, which apparently is meant to draw the viewer into the action.

Still, much of the movie was filmed near my home city of Albuquerque, with a major scene filmed in my hometown of Corrales (whose location I didn't recognize), so I was totally jazzed. I still need to figure out some of these locations. A shoutout to extras Jason Lobo Sedillo and his son, who can clearly be seen in the film's last scene (representing Nogales, Sonora, but filmed at Laguna Pueblo)!

No comments:

Post a Comment