Sunday, March 27, 2016

Two Late-Spring Portents

Spring starts in Sacramento around February 1st, so it's been going on a while, but I today I saw two portents of late spring.

One, I saw a female Scrub Jay poking around for peanuts. Scrub Jays prefer bugs, spiders, and the like, and generally come to my table only under two circumstances: 1.) inexperienced fledglings having no luck elsewhere, or 2.) a female's got a nest nearby and she needs lots and lots of readily-available food. Maybe #2!

Two. Back in the 90's I used to occasionally rent costumes from a place called Broadway Costumes on Franklin Blvd. Fun place! They had long shelves with eerie-looking, ancient, papier-mache Easter Bunny heads. A veritable army of cheery Easter Bunnies! I haven't been back to Broadway Costumes since 2004, and hadn't thought about the Easter Bunny heads for more than a decade, but today, I saw one of those exact heads sitting on top of a car parked on P Street. Somewhere nearby, an Easter Bunny was at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment