Sunday, June 04, 2017

Recent Theater and Movie Notes

I saw a several local theater shows, and a movie, in recent weeks, but I didn't mention them at all in the blog. They deserve a mention.

I saw "James and the Giant Peach" at DMTC (05/20/17). Well done. Jack Driggers, Jack Jessen, and Amaralyn Ewey do so well.

I saw "Guys and Dolls" at the Woodland Opera House (05/20/17). Wonderful show! In particular, I liked Eimi Taormina's timing as she sang 'Adelaide's Lament.' Just exquisite! There were a few pacing difficulties at times. A little slow and ponderous. I was puzzled by the decision to put ladies in the sewer scene. I've always liked the idea of having a Lady Luck: Kris Farhood did well.

Saw "Grand Hotel" at Green Valley Theater Company (05/26/17). My initial impression was this was a Titanic that refused to sink. I found the situations absurd. Most absurd of all was Kevin Caravalho as the terminal tubercular Jewish man who chooses one last go-around at life by staying at the hotel. Absurd! Yet, there was Kevin, looking like the healthiest terminal man in the world, and clearly enjoying himself. Kevin's smiling; why aren't you? So, I relaxed and stopped worrying about it. After that, I enjoyed myself much more. Mark Ettensohn and Melody Payne were quite good.

There has been a dreadful dearth of good movies lately. Everyone wanted to see "Guardians of the Galaxy 2." I thought, "no, no, this will be dreadful." But I went anyway (06/03/17). It was pretty bad, but I enjoyed it anyway. Puzzled by the mid-1970's soundtrack. Drax had the best lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment