Monday, October 23, 2017

Harness Race Qualifiers - Cal Expo - October 21, 2017


Leighton Worthey was in town announcing horse races at Cal Expo - specifically harness racing qualifiers - so he invited me to Cal Expo to watch. Leighton was busy, however, in his booth high up above the grandstands. There were few people at Cal Expo, and even fewer horses. Indeed, I was initially turned away at the door, since the doorkeeper didn't realize qualifiers had started. There was no betting for these races, although I wondered about the televised races from around the country I could see on various TV sets. I was left to wander the mostly-empty facility.


Cal Expo is apparently a Red Cross evacuation site for the fires in the Napa/Santa Rosa/Sonoma area. Interestingly, this is the first time in my life I've ever seen the Red Cross mobilize for anything except for fundraising.




























No comments:

Post a Comment